The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/straightening-out-my-ira-setup-mess-14416597.aspx

Subject:  Straightening out my IRA setup mess Date:  2/24/2001  1:03 AM
Author:  dreamseason Number:  28080 of 76421

I just paid off all my college credit card debts and took another Foolish step forward by setting up an IRA account with Datek. Unfortunately, I meant for it to be a Roth IRA but it was set up as a Traditional IRA account. I'm not sure who screwed up, but in order to fix the problem their customer support said that I had to:

1. Sign up for a new account specified as a Roth IRA Conversion account.
2. Fill out a request for distribution/conversion form in order to move my assets over.

I did this already, but I just realized that there might be some tax consequences. I already filed my 2000 tax return based on the assumption that I would put the max $2000 into a Roth IRA. Since it went into a traditional IRA account and now it's being "converted" to a Roth, will I have to pay taxes on it despite not reporting a Traditional IRA contribution as a deduction? I'm hoping that I can avoid anymore paperwork=headaches.

Datek customer support said that there wasn't anything else needed, but they added a caveat to consult a tax professional so I'm not very confident.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us