The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ok-wait-i-seem-not-to-have-made-myself-clear-14418563.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth conversion complicated by other factors Date:  2/24/2001  2:36 PM
Author:  hbogart Number:  28088 of 75824

OK, wait, I seem not to have made myself clear...

There are 2 (potential) Roths here.
A converted Roth that I could still recharacterize before 4/15. Leaving this 8.2 account converted is going to cost me about 2.8k in taxes (28% plus lost educational credits.

A contributory Roth that already exists but to which I have not made my Y2K contribution. To make the contribution by 4/15 (actually 4/16 this year...) and come up with the $$$ to pay the tax on the conversion, I would have to take a $2k loan against my 403b. I could then always yank the $$$ back out of the contributory Roth to pay off the loan -- though this would be silly, it is possible, if, for example, an unanticipated medical emergency prevented me from completing the extra projects I am taking on at work that will increase my salary this summer (see original post).

I do understand that the money I pay back to the 403b is taxed.

I also understand that I cannot access the funds in the converted Roth for 5 years.

I cannot convert part of the Roth next year or for the foreseeable future, because our AGI appears likely to exceed the $100k limit for conversions.

Anyway, more thoughts appreciated...
HB
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us