The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Straightening out my IRA setup mess Date:  2/24/2001  5:29 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  28098 of 88532

Dreamseason asks:

Based on my reading of the IRS materials... after I get the recharacterization do I have to report it on my 2000 tax return? Does this mean I have to submit an amended 2000 return (1040X) to explain the recharacterization along with the IRA form (8606)?

Nope. a Form 8606 is not required -- yet -- for Roth IRA contributions. The recharacterization establishes that's what you made. Some day the IRS may require that form, but it does not as of today.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us