The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Creation vs. Evolution

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-get-lost-sometimes-when-reading-posts-that-are-14430975.aspx

Subject:  Re: Suggestion Date:  2/26/2001  5:43 PM
Author:  Kazim Number:  239 of 25071

I get lost sometimes when reading posts that are replying to another without a clue as to who they are responding to or what.
Could we agree to put the number of the post we are replying to somewhere so 'I' for one can go back and find it faster?

Becky, the MF boards are pretty well designed. There are two things you can do as the reader to sort this out.

1. Above the post, there are two labels, "threaded" and "unthreaded". If you click "threaded", the posts will be sorted by what original message they come after.

2. When you read this message, you will notice that the title is "Re: Suggestion", and the word "Suggestion" is a link. If you click on that link (and, in general, click the part after the "Re:"), you will jump back to the post that I'm replying to (yours, in this case). This can help you trace a thread backwards and see what people are responding to.

There is also something you can do to help when you write new posts. Rather than go back and look up the number of the post you are answering, copy and paste the important parts of the previous post into yours, like I have done here with your message. If you know HTML, you can make the old post italic or bold, or you can set off the text with brackets like this.

Kazim wrote:
<<Becky, the MF boards are pretty well designed. There are two things you can do as the reader to sort this out.

1. Above the post, there are two labels, "threaded" and "unthreaded". If you click "threaded", the posts will be sorted by what original message they come after.>>

Wow, Kazim, I didn't know that! Thanks!

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us