The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: dependent ?, etc. Date:  3/2/2001  10:02 AM
Author:  sepac Number:  47535 of 127549

But since the mother owns the house, it could be diffcult to meet the "Support Test" needed to claim someone as a dependent (p. 24ff of IRS Publication 17), which requires that "you must provide more than half of a person's total support during the calendar year."

Not necessarily. It depends on who's making the mortgage payments, paying the taxes and utilities, etc. While he couldn't deduct mortgage interest that he pays for her, he certainly could consider the payments in determining support.

Thanks for the replys. The house is completely paid for. I paid all the ultilities and other expenses for her, groceries etc.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us