The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Offsetting various capital gains & losses Date:  3/5/2001  10:37 AM
Author:  pmarti Number:  47690 of 127549

Thanks for responding. By investment property I mean a rental real estate. I have short term losses from selling stocks that are greater than the long-term capital gains form selling a rental property. Could I offset the stock losses against the rental property gains and carryover the rest of losses to future years?

I'm not sure exactly how this washes out. You report the sale of the rental property on Form 4797, which can feed Schedule D, but which also can feed the 1040 directly. I always advise professional assistance when the sale of rental property is involved. Frankly, I find the 4797 incomprehensible.

Phil Marti
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us