The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-am-considering-incorporating-as-i-understand-it-14543020.aspx

Subject:  Re: to incoporate or not? Date:  3/14/2001  5:06 AM
Author:  ptheland Number:  48380 of 121572

I am considering incorporating as I understand it is a smart move for the self-employed (eliminating liability, separating personal income from corporate dividend). Should I be speaking with a tax attorney or financial planner? And secondly I would appreciate any info from people who have gone through this process themselves.

I suspect the liability protection is overused as a reason to incorporate. As a closely held corporation, virtually no one will lend money to the corporation without your personal guarantee of the debt. So you're still going to be on the hook for the largest part of any debt.

Neither a tax attorney nor a financial planner are the best professionals to advise you here. I'd want an attorney familiar with corporate law, and probably a CPA or EA as well, as the tax planning issues get far more complicated with two entities (the corporation and yourself).

Finally, the process of incorporating is remarkably simple. I'm sure there's variation based on the state you're in, but my incorporation last December took only a couple of pieces of paper and a little over a hundred dollars. I could have paid even less had I done more of the work myself and not paid a service to do it for me.

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us