The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Taxes on stock yields? Date:  3/14/2001  8:10 AM
Author:  yankeesmyteam Number:  48383 of 127525

You only pay the tax on the $50 if it is a realized gain, meaning you sold the stock and made a gain. Then depending on how long you held it and what your tax bracket is determines your tax.

However if you bought that 100 stock and it gave you a cash dividend then that is taxable when you receive it.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us