The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hey-fools-can-someone-explain-to-me-whether-14568360.aspx

Subject:  Re: TIAA-CREF SRA Date:  3/16/2001  11:02 PM
Author:  Carpian Number:  28477 of 76418

Hey fools. Can someone explain to me whether TIAA-CREF's SRA is truly an annuity? My understanding is that the SRA allows an investment (in a choice of funds including an index fund), but how does that differ from choosing an index fund within an IRA? Is this a good option for investing beyond an IRA?

An SRA through TIAA-CREF is "truly" an annuity. However, TIAA-CREF's annuities lack the drawbacks that make so many other annuities unappealing (TIAA-CREF's expense ratios are low, and there are no surrender charges).

There is essentially no difference between investing in an index fund in TIAA-CREF or in an IRA. When you retire, you have the option of taking your money from TIAA-CREF as an annuity, but you are not required to. The main difference between an SRA and an IRA is in investment options: you have more flexibility (i.e. individual stocks) in an IRA. But if you're going to invest in an index fund either way, then the SRA may be a better way to go because contribution limits are higher for 403b plans than for IRAs.

One little-known option for SRAs is that you could transfer them to a 403b7 account with a mutual fund, i.e. Vanguard. You do not have to keep them in TIAA-CREF. However, the CREF funds have been good performers so unless you have some special interest that isn't covered by CREF, I don't see any reason to transfer out.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us