The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: What to do? Date:  3/17/2001  11:17 AM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  28480 of 88775

Hi mrw, you seem to be on the right track.

On transferring your old 401K and 403B to an IRA and then doing a Roth conversion, first step is to select a custodian for that IRA plan. You will also want to contact your employers plan custodians. If one of those is TIAA-CREF their 800 no will be able to advise if they have IRA accounts available.

In most cases to initiate a transfer, contact the custodian you want. They have forms for you to fill out and will take care of the details. Sometimes, your employer will also have forms for you to fill out.

Multiple small acounts is a problem for many. Consolidating them when you get the chance is usually a good idea--just to minimize paperwork and keep them manageable--especially if some of them charge annual maintenaince fees. Roth is a good idea for both of you to the full $2K limit. Otherwise, try focusing your contributions in a minimum number of accounts--ideally the best one in terms of performance and future taxes. That is likely to be your Roth if you have no matching. Otherwise, the higher contribution limits of the 401K plans usually make them attractive.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us