The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Can I have an IRA that includs dif contrib types Date:  3/17/2001  8:37 PM
Author:  melrosest Number:  28486 of 88435

I am very confused. I currently have a regular IRA account. This account has had the following contributions made to it over the years:
tax deductible
non-deduuctible (only 1k)
rolled over a 401k account into it

Is this going to cause major problems with calculating the taxes owed when I start to pull money out many years from now? I am about to contribute non-deductible contributions for 2000 and 2001. Should I not deposit these contributions into this account but instead open another traditional IRA and keep non-deductible contributions separate from deductible ones?

If I have another 401k to roll over in the future should I not roll it into my current IRA?

Will this merging of contributions cause headaches if I decide to convert to a Rooth IRA down the line?

Thanks for your help!

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us