The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/how-confusing-of-them-to-offer-multiple-versions-14596620.aspx

Subject:  Re: Ideas needed on a Funds portfolio Date:  3/21/2001  2:00 PM
Author:  jrr7 Number:  28555 of 75882

How confusing of them to offer multiple versions of the exact same fund with the only thing different being the fees charged.

Since your son is investing for the long run and doesn't mind being aggressive, he should be 100% in stocks. All of those funds are stock funds except the "Fixed Income" funds, the Pimco Total Return, and possibly the FEDERATED PRIME VAL OBLIGATION.

My philosophy of investing is "Minimize costs". And you can't get much less expensive (in terms of costs you pay each year) than Vanguard 500 Index Fund; Admiral Shares (VFIAX). It's not as aggressive as some of the other funds listed, but it has a great track record and the fees are negligible. How much extra is he willing to pay in expenses (i.e. lose out on investment gains) to increase both the chances of losing big and winning big?

This is an excellent choice of funds for a 401(k) plan and I wish it was me that had these choices to make.

> DST SYSTEMS, INC STOCK
Apparently this is your son's company. It was rising steadily from early 1997 to the end of '00, but since the start of this year it has been dropping steadily. Perhaps the stock price got ahead of the company's actual growth. In any event, I wouldn't recommend putting any extra money in here.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us