The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Relocation Tax Implications Date:  3/21/2001  2:14 PM
Author:  Jack57 Number:  48809 of 127637

In '99, I relocated from WI to IL and my husband from WI to ME (for our jobs). On our '99 taxes, the accountant itemized $845 moving expenses from WI to ME only (the $845 covered just the cost of my husband driving from WI to ME, not household belongings). My company paid all of my moving expenses, so none of that was deducted. We owned our home in WI until 3/00; the bulk of our belongings were in storage in WI. After the home was sold, we decided to settle in ME. The total cost for this move was approximately $7,000. Is this deductible? Do we need to amend the '99 return and roll the $845 into the total cost of the move for '00? I do not have a job in ME, so this move was for my husband's job.

Although neither of us lived or worked in WI in '00, we did own a home there (until 3/00). Do we need to file as part-year resident's in WI?


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us