The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Roth IRA Excess Contributions Date:  4/4/2001  1:50 PM
Author:  irosenheim Number:  49593 of 127616

Before we go any further with this, please provide some detail. I'm 
assuming that your AGI allowed Roth contributions for 1999, but not for 
2000. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also please provide the dates, 
amounts, and tax year designation of the contributions you've made.

Your first assumption is correct, my AGI allowed Roth contributions in 
1999, but was too high for 2000.  Here's how our contributions break 

Year    Myself    Wife
----    ------    ----
1999    $400      $400     ($50/month each from May thru December)
2000    $600      $600     ($50/month each from January thru December)

All contributions are designated for the tax year in which they were 
made, and are done thru an automated investment program directly from 
our checking account.  Since I've been unsure as to what to do, I 
haven't stopped the automated contributions for 2001.  Also note that 
when I filed my taxes this year, I paid $72 ($36 each) in taxes on the 
excess contributions to our Roths.

Thanks for helping me out!

  - Ira Rosenheim

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us