The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Married Living in separate states. Date:  4/6/2001  1:16 AM
Author:  gt0954a Number:  49721 of 127753

Wife and I live in seperate states(me GA, her NY), we are graduate students. Im trying to figure out our taxes. We are filing jointly
for federal, but we need to file 2 states. My wife was a part year resident of GA then moved to NYC to do her internship. Im
wondering who we deal with the AGI from our federal (combined income) for each state.

I hope one of you is studying math, because you're going to be doing a lot of it. You'll have to check the instructions for both
states to see what your options, if any, are, and then do the calculations to see how you should file. Every state is free to make its
own rules about your situation.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

yeah. this sounds like fun!... oh well. being an EE is close enough. I am deciding for GA ( havent looked at NY yet. ) that I will treat us as 1 person for calculating the % instate income using married jointly. figure thats what ill have to do for NY as well.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us