The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-ex-signed-all-rights-to-our-home-over-to-me-in-14749969.aspx

Subject:  Re: quitclaim deed Date:  4/11/2001  5:42 PM
Author:  Squawk1200 Number:  19082 of 128887

My ex signed all rights to our home over to me in a property settlement agreement when we divorced. I didn't know I needed a quitclaim deed filed. I have rented the house out, and the renter is wanting an option to buy. I have 17 yrs left on a 30 yr mortgage at 9.5%, and am considering refinancing. I have had to get a small loan to make repairs from the last tenant. My ex has refused to sign any more papers so far. Do I have to have the quitclaim deed or is the property settlement agreement enough?

I doubt you want to hear this, but you really need to speak with a lawyer. Ideally, your settlement agreement was made part of your divorce court's entry of judgment, and, if so, you may be able to see if you can get a Court order compelling him to sign a quitclaim deed. Alternatively (this wouldn't work in my state, but who knows?), the laws in your state may let you "record" your settlement agreement so that it becomes, in effect, a quitclaim deed. Probable worst case scenario, you'll have to bring a new action to quiet title in which your settlement agreement would be Exhibit A. That'll undoubtedly take a while, though. All of this is going to depend on the law in your particular state.

Good Luck

-- Squawk1200

Disclaimer

Yes, I am a lawyer, BUT THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE; it is only general information. NO CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS INTENDED TO BE CREATED, NOR IS ANY SUCH RELATIONSHIP SO CREATED. FOR SPECIFIC LEGAL ADVICE YOU SHOULD TALK TO A LAWYER LICENSED TO PRACTICE IN YOUR STATE.

(apologies to JAFO for borrowing his disclaimer)

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us