The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: name on tax return Date:  4/14/2001  5:17 AM
Author:  BigBunkler Number:  50243 of 127613

i ran one of those turbotax programs to file my taxes, however one question has me puzzled: if i got married in 2000 and neglected to change my name on my social security card this program says to file jointly i should still use my maiden name if thats on my ss card. i never heard of that before. does anyone know if that information is correct, that i should use my maiden name still?
== == ==
Yep, the IRS looks at SS records to compare your name with your social security number. So, if you haven't yet changed your name down at SS, you should still use your maiden name on your tax return. Then, this summer, you should contact the SS people and change your name over to your married name.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us