The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/you-dont-have-to-mail-the-irs-anything-if-you-14768314.aspx

Subject:  Re: E-filing question Date:  4/14/2001  12:31 PM
Author:  Kazim Number:  50249 of 121585

You don't have to mail the IRS anything if you filed correctly and your return was accepted by the IRS. Your TurboTax program should have told you if it was accepted when you checked back a few days after filing. In prior years a paper signature had to be filed, but wasn't required this year. Instead the IRS used two numbers from your last return. If you used TurboTax and imported 1999 data to do your 2000 return, TurboTax automatically used them. No W-2 is needed to be filed and is in fact not wanted.

Thanks! I went over the web sites and the information from TT several times last night, and also looked over form 8453-OL, and concluded that I didn't have to mail anything. My return got accepted, and TT said I don't have any more to send, so I guess I'm clear.

Ahhh, good old internet. Every year I have a little less physical mail to worry about. It is nice. Now if only voting would be internetized by 2004...

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us