The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/game-show-question-14811737.aspx

Subject:  Game show question Date:  4/20/2001  9:15 PM
Author:  Bob78164 Number:  50479 of 121219

It is very likely that I will have the opportunity to play Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? sometime this year. When that occurs, the show will fly a guest and me to New York City and pay us a per diem to cover our expenses for a couple of days. The show will issue a 1099 for the cost of the transportation and lodging and for the per diem.

To obtain the spot, I travelled in order to attend three separate auditions this year. I drove to each of them and kept careful records. In each case, the audition was the sole purpose of the trip. Which of my audition expenses, if any, are deductible against what I am paid? I hope that the answer is all of them, at least to the extent of my winnings; namely, mileage (I drove), parking, lodging, and meals. Are my transportation expenses to New York to attend the show likewise deductible? In other words, can I deduct the price of my plane ticket because I needed it to get to the show? If it matters, I believe that I can fairly characterize my efforts to get on the show as a hobby. --Bob
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us