The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Small business employment Date:  4/21/2001  10:08 AM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  29238 of 88495

IRA and Roth IRA are the best available. You could also do an annuity, but Fools usually recommend against it due to their high costs, and many limitations. Fees are often high. If you have a poor performing annuity or high costs, changes can be costly. So if you do an annuity, make sure it is one of the low cost ones offered by Vanguard or others--not the costly ones sold by brokers and insurance companies.

Better would be to make taxable investments with an eye toward minimizing current income taxes. Long term buy and hold (LTBH in Foolish lingo) is the best. That can be in stocks like Rule Makers, in a tax managed mutual fund, or in an index fund. These funds tend to have low expense ratios and make low or minimal capital gains distributions. Stocks incur annual taxes only on the dividends they pay, which can be zero or small. Otherwise, you pay taxes at capital gains rates only when you sell.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us