The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ok-bob-since-none-of-the-pros-has-taken-this-one-14833317.aspx

Subject:  Re: Game show question Date:  4/24/2001  12:48 PM
Author:  JABoa Number:  50541 of 121061

OK, Bob, since none of the pros has taken this one on, I'll give it a go. You and I both know that this opinion is completely worthless, and that I accept no responsibility for it whatsoever.

I looked at Pub. 525 under "Prizes and Awards" which says specifically that money won in a TV or radio quiz show, or a beauty contest (I have to cover all bases) is miscellaneous income. Next, Pub. 17, Ch. 13, says right at the top that expenses incurred in a not-for-profit enterprise are deductible, but only to the extent of income and then only if you are already itemizing on Sch. A. Finally, Pub. 535 has a bit more to say.

So here's what I think. I think your expenses are deductible up to the extent of your winnings. I think your reimbursed expenses (such as a plane ticket or hotel bill they pick up) are neither income nor deductible, since it's a wash. I think if you don't get on the show, your expenses are not deductible.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us