The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-would-recommend-setting-up-a-plan-and-sticking-14842682.aspx

Subject:  Re: What Should We do? Date:  4/25/2001  2:56 PM
Author:  jrr7 Number:  29319 of 76384

I would recommend setting up a plan and sticking with it, so that as little time is spent maintaining it. That way you don't need to worry about managing it; you just make sure the plan is followed.

You can either come up with a plan yourself, or get an advisor to do it. I recommend an advisor who gets paid by a flat fee based on the time spent preparing the plan. There are also advisors who want to be paid by commission or who are paid based on a percentage of your assets; I don't think that's a good idea.

Some big mutual fund companies will charge you a flat fee to look over your portfolio and make a suggestion -- for instance Vanguard.

Do you want your portfolio to be actively managed (either by yourself or for a fee) or are you happy with just setting up a plan and sticking to it?

Are you completely retiring or will you still be working? Have you decided about Social Security?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us