The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 401k R/O or Trf: After-Tax Contributions Date:  4/28/2001  11:07 AM
Author:  pmarti Number:  50665 of 127613

However, with respect to the post-tax contributions, they may not be so transferred or rolled over. In this case, is it permissible to deposit them into a post-tax (i.e., non-deductible) IRA?

No. You have to take a cash distribution of your post-tax contributions. You pay no tax or penalty since, as you note, you've already been taxed on the income.

See Publications 575 and 590.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us