The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/lmm-a-friend-omine-is-telling-me-that-some-14863553.aspx

Subject:  Re: Taxes after the NASDAQ drop Date:  4/28/2001  11:08 AM
Author:  phooley Number:  50666 of 121566

LMM,

A friend o'mine is telling me that some investors who managed to make some serious dough on the bull market are now facing the prospect of having to pay taxes on price that is no longer there. She stated that some employees offered shares by their tech companies did not sell before the drop (under "Wise" advise) and now they have to pay taxes on the previous value of the stock, owing the IRS some hundreds of thousands on money they never had.

Yes, your friend is correct. This has gotten fairly wide coverage in the press over the past few months. Here's an example I found via www.deja.com:

Mr. Chou used incentive stock options to buy about 100,000 Cisco shares last year, paying 5 to 10 cents per share. At the time, Cisco stock was trading between $60 and $70 a share. The difference between the price he paid and what the shares were worth - a total of about $6.9 million - is taxable to him as profit, even though he never sold the shares.

Mr. Chou could sell his shares now, but it would not solve his problem. Cisco closed Thursday at $17.98, which means that his entire stake is worth about $1.8 million. To pay his state and federal tax bill, he needs another $700,000.

This is my first posting, so I appologize if this is a foolish question. It just seems that the level of risk I am planning to take just doubled by this prospect.

Not sure what your question is -- if you're asking if this can happen, it can, and has. Are you thinking of starting work with a high-tech firm, and concerned about the risk associated with any options you may be offered?

Phooley in Phoenix

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us