The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/markr33-wrote-is-the-health-tax-variable-14884836.aspx

Subject:  Re: Health Care Crisis: Open to Suggestions Date:  5/1/2001  10:46 PM
Author:  galeno Number:  37271 of 750102

markr33 wrote:
Is the health tax variable depending on income ? What would the health tax be on an income of $5000 per month ?

This is not a health tax for me or would it be for you. This is a voluntary program. I opted to be in it. Lots of small business people here pay the voluntary insurance. The voluntary socialized health insurance will cost you about 8% of your monthly income.

If you live in Costa Rica, i.e. citizen or resident, and are not covered in the health care system either by your employer or voluntarily, if you use the system you will get billed for services.

Now, if you have a $5,000 a month retirement income but CR allows you to be a retired resident with $600 a month, why declare the entire $5,000 unless you like to brag or enjoy paying $400 per month instead of $48 per month for the same coverage?

There is a different program called "rentist resident" where you need a minimum of $1,000 per month. The only benefit this gives you as a foreigner is that you can own a business and work in it. A "retired resident" is not allowed to own a business and is not allowed to work. But...why would you want to come to Costa Rica and own a business? Almost every single one of my American, Canadian, and European friends who are involved in a business here wish they weren't.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us