The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools Message Board

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/rebalancing-to-increase-index-funds-14987302.aspx

Subject:  Rebalancing to increase Index Funds Date:  5/17/2001  2:45 PM
Author:  Alpha1918 Number:  11 of 21

I am 49 years old, and still a long term investor.
I currently have a mutual fund portfolio as follows: IRA (growth and income), 403b (consisting of 3 funds of large growth, international, and Europe).
I also have nine taxable growth funds of: 1 large cap, 1 mid cap, 1 small cap, 1 financial sector, 1 technology sector, 1 "Personal Strategy Growth, 1 "Spectrum Growth, 1 Total Stock Market Index Fund, and 1 Total International Stock Market Index Fund.
Index funds have been very appealing to me and they have been my most recent purchases and I intend to keep them. I like the relatively low cost, low turnover, and tax advantages. As far as my other taxable accounts are concerned I would like to keep my sector funds (and even add a few others such as health care, utilities, or reits that may hopefully offset the periodic "bearish downturns" in the market). Therefore, I am considering maintaining my IRA and 403b as it is, keeping (and possibly adding to) my sector funds, but selling the rest of my taxable funds and placing that money into my Total Stock Market Index Fund and Total International Stock Market Fund.
Please give me your opinion of that strategy, and any suggestions you may have.

Thank you for your assistance,
alpha1918

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us