The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/honest-question-answer-imho-15029630.aspx

Subject:  Honest Question-Answer IMHO Date:  5/23/2001  5:13 PM
Author:  Mangard Number:  72239 of 308858

I was wondering...

this is a little loaded but it is a sincere question. okay, person X has a very poor credit history. They want to buy a house. They have some serious cc debt they want to pay off. they have student loans.

okay. In your holy opinion is this person "ready" for a home? I mean, they have a poor payment record, bad credit, etc... If they come to this board they are obviously looking for a way OUT OF debt but a house payment is a sure way to be locked INTO debt, and they have a poor history with handling this said debt. Now, I know we are making "jugements" about other people's situation if we type that they are not ready, so I know IT IS better to just give them advice about credit reports and mortgages and send them on their way. But, does anyone else just have the urge to "get serious" with some of these people and ask them if they are in a financially responsible position to be taking on this new burden? Or am I just a judgemental meanie?

Mangard
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us