The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / The Gestalt of Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-guys-thought-id-stop-by-and-check-out-the-15033588.aspx

Subject:  Re: What's cookin'? Date:  5/24/2001  9:19 AM
Author:  Shadowfen Number:  6 of 21259

Hi guys,

Thought I'd stop by and check out the cool new cooking board!

What kind of cookware do you use? Do you have any hints, techniques, or suggestions for using it effectively?

Stainless steel (because that's what I have and it cleans easily).
Turn the stove on?

<G>What's your favorite spice? Your least favorite? Why?

Most fave is garlic!!!!
Least fave is a thai spice of unknown name that I call "the wet dog spice" because I think it tastes like a wet dog smells.

What are your favorite type of things to cook?

Things that don't require a lot of prep or fiddling or slaving over a hot stove forever: crockpot recipes, bar-b-que/grilling, wok, oven dishes.

Do you specialize in any ethnic cuisines? What appeals to you about them?

I routinely do Tex-Mex, Greek, Thai, Italian, and Chinese but I consider that to be plain home cooking. American is an exotic type for me.

How do you handle leftovers? Serve them again as-is? Disguise them so your S.O. won't recognize them?

I generally push them to the back of the fridge until they become unrecognizable and then throw them out. :)

What do you see as the biggest challenge in your cooking?

Cleaning up.

Do you cook or bake, or both?

Primarily cook - but that is because if I were to bake regularly, I would eat it. :)

Do you use recipes? Only as guides? Need absolute measurements (you probably won't like this board so well)? Just make it up as you go along?

I use recipes for new things that I have no idea how to make, but unless I'm preparing it for the recipe "owner" I'm more than likely to use the recipe as a "suggested procedure/ingredients list" and make changes where I feel like it.

When baking I'm a lot more likely to follow the recipe because the ingredients and proportions are important to seeing that the desired chemical reaction (dough rising, etc.) occurs properly. (Yes, I majored in Chem Eng in college for a while. <g>)

For something that I'm more familiar with, I'm more likely to experiment with or flat out make up as I go along. Unfortunately, I'm very bad about recording what I do then so I can reproduce it if it turns out well.

Shadowfen

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us