The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/mechanics-of-investing-in-iras-15034133.aspx

Subject:  Mechanics of Investing in IRAs Date:  5/24/2001  10:28 AM
Author:  susana901 Number:  29883 of 76235

I have been reading and learning about investing now for a year, and I think I have a good handle on the basic philosophy of investing for retirement, goals & such (though I'm only 24, and I do still have a lot to learn). Mostly at this point, I am stumped by some of the mechanics of investing.

I've set up a regular brokerage account as well as a Roth IRA at etrade. In my Roth IRA, I put in my $2,000 for Y2K contribution, and so far this year, I've put in about $385. I have already bought some mutual fund shares with the initial $2,000, so I essentially have the $385 to do something with. I also have $1600 that I am thinking about putting into this IRA for this year, but I'm confused about how I can use the IRA. I have a specific index fund that I want to buy, but it's not offered through etrade. Does this mean I have to open another IRA somewhere else, maybe directly through the mutual fund company? My concern is that I don't want to have to keep track of a million different accounts....but if I do open a new IRA, can i take the uninvested $385 that I have at etrade and put it into this new account?

Also, I foolishly (not Foolishly) opened an Ameritrade account and bought a few shares of Cisco...I have about $400 in there now, and in the interest of consolidating my finances, I'd like to close that account and put the shares into my etrade account...is that possible, or do I have to sell the shares and take the loss?

I guess I'm a little confused about what I own and control and what the brokers control...Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us