The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / The Gestalt of Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-cori-congratulations-on-your-new-digs-when-15034452.aspx

Subject:  Re: What's cookin'? Date:  5/24/2001  11:01 AM
Author:  KenpoKate Number:  8 of 21259

Hi Cori -

Congratulations on your new digs! When do you want us to start posting recipes?

What kind of cookware do you use? Do you have any hints, techniques, or suggestions for using it effectively?

I use a set of heavy-bottomed stainless steel pans. My favorite pan to do 'gestalt' cooking in is a frying pan.

What's your favorite spice? Your least favorite? Why?

My favorite spice right now is Cayenne pepper. I'm still learning to cook with it, which makes it a challenge.

What are your favorite type of things to cook?

Mostly, I cook to eat. I don't do so much cooking that I've gotten bored with the basics, which is what would make me head off to 'types.' As a kind of LBMM effort, I do try to replicate the things I get cravings to go out to eat... pizza, spicy chicken strips, buffalo wings, Pad Thai, Mexican.

How do you handle leftovers?

We plan for leftovers and take them for lunches later in the week.

What do you see as the biggest challenge in your cooking?

Right now, the biggest challenge is regaining the strength/endurance in my leg to be able to go grocery shopping and stand in the kitchen long enough to cook. (T+6 weeks from knee surgery)

Do you cook or bake, or both?

Both. We also dry food. Haven't tried pickling yet.

Do you use recipes? Only as guides?

Yes. I pretty much always start with a base recipe. That doesn't mean I don't start modifying in the first round! I have a rice dish I made for some friends last fall and they asked me for the recipe. I said 'sure!' and grabbed the cookbook to write it down. I couldn't find it! I'd changed it so much that none of the ingredients I used were in the title...

- KenpoKate
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us