The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / The Gestalt of Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/love-the-idea-here-hope-it-develops-i-use-a-15036421.aspx

Subject:  Re: What's cookin'? Date:  5/24/2001  2:06 PM
Author:  SRHCB Number:  12 of 21259

Love the idea here, hope it develops.
I use a combination of favorite old junk cookware through new Calaphon. Good quality cookware DOES matter.
I tend to use a lot of garlic, and I have my own "essence" : garlic salt, celery salt, chili powder, cumin, paprika. I try and get my spices from Penzeys. Good quality spices DO matter.
Baking breads is kind of my favorite thing. Hint here: When it comes to baking, a heavy duty KitchenAid mixer and good scale DO matter.
I don't want to brag, but I actually incorporate the estimated quantity of leftovers into my menu planning. Since I always cook for the same two people, and have three dogs, I do have a little leeway here.
My biggest challenge in cooking is coming up with new ideas. I buy cookbooks, read several food magazines, and watch TVFood Network every night! (My second biggest challenge is the perfect meatloaf. I've made two/month for 10 years and I'm getting real close!)
I still generally use recipes as guides, but I find that as I cook more and more I am inclined to change them as I go along. I am also developing the ability (in 10 years of cooking) to know how recipes will work/taste by reading them and to feel confident in substituteing ingredients etc.

Where do we goe from here?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us