The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / The Gestalt of Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-kind-of-cookware-do-you-use-do-you-have-any-15036522.aspx

Subject:  Re: What's cookin'? Date:  5/24/2001  2:16 PM
Author:  ChocoKitty Number:  13 of 21259

What kind of cookware do you use? Do you have any hints, techniques, or suggestions for using it effectively?
3 pots and 2 pans, all of which are cheap or hand-me-downs. I definitely need new cookware. I can't believe I've made it this far with such awful equipment!

What's your favorite spice? Your least favorite? Why?
Favorite: ground chipotle pepper. I love the smoky-spicy smell. I don't have a least favorite.

What are your favorite type of things to cook?
Depends on the season! I go through phases in my cooking. So far, I remember a homey (as opposed to fancy) baking phase, a vegetarian phase, a pizza phase, and a risotto phase. Now I'm just cooking randomly.

Do you specialize in any ethnic cuisines? What appeals to you about them?
No. I'll cook and eat almost anything!

How do you handle leftovers? Serve them again as-is? Disguise them so your S.O. won't recognize them?
I'm single, so all leftovers become lunch the next day (or several meals).

What do you see as the biggest challenge in your cooking?
I get so frustrated when my cooking doesn't taste as good as I had hoped, or when the cooking process doesn't go smoothly. Few things make me more angry than making a bad dish (yes, I need to gain some perspective!). I wish I had more time to cook too -- I hate limiting myself to quick-n-easy recipes.

Do you cook or bake, or both?
Both. I find baking, especially fancier desserts, to be more of a challenge because the chemistry is so unforgiving. I also find that more things can go obviously and irreparably wrong in baking because the baking process itself is rather hands-off compared to stove top cooking. That's part of the thrill, I guess!

Do you use recipes? Only as guides? Need absolute measurements (you probably won't like this board so well)? Just make it up as you go along?
I will usually follow a recipe the first time I make it to give me a baseline reference, but after that I'll make adjustments based on my tastes. I find it counterproductive to change a recipe the first time out because I wouldn't even know *what* to change without tasting the original first!

Great board -- I look forward to reading everyone's posts!

CK
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us