The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / The Gestalt of Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-kind-of-cookware-do-you-use-do-you-have-any-15045498.aspx

Subject:  Re: What's cookin'? Date:  5/25/2001  2:59 PM
Author:  kasalo Number:  58 of 21259

What kind of cookware do you use? Do you have any hints, techniques, or suggestions for using it effectively?
Heavy-bottomed steel Revere pots and pans (when I cook). Hints and suggestions? Never get distracted watching a movie when you should be watching the stove.

What's your favorite spice? Your least favorite? Why?
Favorite? Southern Comfort. It's versatile. Really.
Least? Sage. I don't know, it just tastes bad to me.

What are your favorite type of things to cook?
Anything I can put Southern Comfort in – I do some really kick-butt cheesecakes and fruit salads.

Do you specialize in any ethnic cuisines? What appeals to you about them?
Well when I do cook from scratch it tends to be rather Macrobiotic-ish. I guess that could be considered ethnic. The cooking techniques are simple and the flavors are clean and I have all the basic ingredients all of the time.

How do you handle leftovers? Serve them again as-is? Disguise them so your S.O. won't recognize them?
Leftovers tend to be forgotten in the fridge for about a month, then they go to the compost heap, so I try not to make more that a couple of meals worth at a time.

What do you see as the biggest challenge in your cooking?
Keeping the kitchen clean – I won't cook in a dirty kitchen. Problem is, no one will clean up after me.

Do you cook or bake, or both?
The only baking I do is the occasional drunken cheesecake.

Do you use recipes? Only as guides? Need absolute measurements (you probably won't like this board so well)? Just make it up as you go along?
I use a recipe to start so I can understand the taste and texture, after that I usually wing it.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us