The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-am-retired-from-the-military-we-have-to-make-a-15046120.aspx

Subject:  Re: Pension Maximization Date:  5/25/2001  4:02 PM
Author:  jtmitch Number:  29916 of 75882

I am retired from the military; we have to make a survivor benefit program decision at the time we retire. For me, it was the hardest financial decision I had to make in connection with retirement. There were a couple of factors that led me to take it (although we had the option to take it at various levels and I did not take the full amount):
- the payments to the survivor are inflation indexed; if yours are that might make it more valuable than you might initially think;
- the premiums for the program are paid with pre-tax dollars; if yours are also you will have to "gross-up" (by your marginal tax rate)the amount of income you would have to earn to pay an equal amount for an insurance policy.
- the real bottom line: my wife had spent 26.5 years of my 28 years of active duty with me, moving every 3 - 5 years and foregoing her own career opporunities. I couldn't put her in a position where she would have no guaranteed, regular income to sustain her if I fell to my death swinging from the chandelier at my retirement party.

jtmitch
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us