The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / The Gestalt of Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/great-idea-for-a-board-cori-what-kind-of-15067272.aspx

Subject:  Re: What's cookin'? Date:  5/29/2001  8:17 PM
Author:  maddiemcwa Number:  138 of 21259

Great idea for a board, Cori!

What kind of cookware do you use? Do you have any hints, techniques, or suggestions for using it effectively?

Mostly old stuff I've had a long time--this and that.

What's your favorite spice? Your least favorite? Why?>/I>

I like to use fresh herbs from my garden. I like collecting them while I cook, even if I need a flashlight. It's always fun to be asked if my dog could've peed on it or if I'm positive that I know how to identify it and I'm not going to accidentally poison someone. My least favorite herb is cilantro. I know lots of people like it, but it tastes soapy to me.

What are your favorite type of things to cook?<i/>

I make a lot of stir-fries, soups, and pasta dishes.

Do you specialize in any ethnic cuisines? What appeals to you about them?

I make adapted versions of Asian, Mexican and Italian dishes. They taste good and usually use lots of fresh veggies and are pretty quick to make.

How do you handle leftovers? Serve them again as-is? Disguise them so your S.O. won't recognize them?

If I know I made enough of something good, I put some in a container for my lunch the next day before dinner, because there probably won't be any left otherwise. If I'm pretty sure no one will eat them, I try to throw them out so as to avoid the science experiment being found later. Occasionally, I do something different with them, but usually they get eaten as is.

What do you see as the biggest challenge in your cooking?

Balancing the joy of cooking when I want to with the pain of cooking when I have to.

Do you cook or bake, or both?

Mostly cook, sometimes bake.

Do you use recipes? Only as guides? Need absolute measurements (you probably won't like this board so well)? Just make it up as you go along?

I love reading cookbooks, especially old ones or interesting ones. I adapt a lot of recipes to suit ingredients, costs, and time. I don't have experience making everything or using every ingredient, so I use recipes for ideas and to learn new techniques. I only use measuring utensils when I feel it's necessary. I make up a lot of things as I go along.

Madeline

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us