The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / The Gestalt of Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-madeline-and-welcome-to-the-board-i-hope-15068596.aspx

Subject:  Re: What's cookin'? Date:  5/30/2001  1:05 AM
Author:  ngg Number:  141 of 21259

Hi Madeline, and welcome to the board! I hope you'll have a good time here.

I like to use fresh herbs from my garden. I like collecting them while I cook, even if I need a flashlight. It's always fun to be asked if my dog could've peed on it or if I'm positive that I know how to identify it and I'm not going to accidentally poison someone. My least favorite herb is cilantro. I know lots of people like it, but it tastes soapy to me.

I dislike cilantro as well, for the same reason. Just not interested in seasoning my food with soap, thank you very much! According to Steven Raichlen's The Barbeque Bible, it's probably the most and least liked herbs; people generally either like it or hate it, and if it tastes soapy to you, you're probably mildly allergic to it.

I've got an herb garden right outside the back door. We've got perennial favorites like sage, tarragon, oregano, chives, mints (so invasive I now treat them like weeds!), and I just picked up some pineapple sage, something I'd never seen before. Each spring when I'm fairly certain it's going to stay warm, I put in some annuals. Just this weekend I planted sweet basil, cinnamon basil, and licorice basil. I really like purple basil, too, but so far haven't been able to find any this year. Probably just as well, since there's a chance of frost tonight. Sigh...

On the rare occasions when I DO cook, and it's something I haven't made before (or in a long time), I'm likely to look up the same recipe in 3-4 cookbooks. I read them all, then say "Okay, I get the idea," then make it. I really only measure if I'm baking, because my results when I've tried to "wing it" in that venue have been disastrous.

Mostly, I'm content to let DH do most of the cooking, although I willingly offer my opinions and suggestions, which he's very gracious about accepting and incorporating. I also make good salads, and do almost all the clean-up. I'm better at it (read: fussier), and I figure it's a small price to pay for being well fed!

Once again, welcome!

Cori
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us