The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / The Gestalt of Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hello-all-what-kind-of-cookware-do-you-use-do-15073456.aspx

Subject:  Re: What's cookin'? Date:  5/30/2001  4:27 PM
Author:  5walker Number:  189 of 21259

Hello all--

What kind of cookware do you use? Do you have any hints, techniques, or suggestions for using it effectively?
I recently got rid of all our 20-30-40 year old beat up pots and pans from several combined households and indulged in a set of circulon from Costco. It has worked out very well, but it's very heavy. I still use a couple cheap non-stick frypans and several stainless steel pans. I think some foods don't quite brown as well on non-stick as they do on stainless steel. I don't like enamelware as everything seems to scorch on it.

What's your favorite spice? Your least favorite? Why?
Favorites are rosemary (I try to crush it so it's not so needly), lemon juice, indian spices, garlic. Love cilantro and can eat it by the handful with Mexican food. Can't really think of any I don't like.

What are your favorite type of things to cook?
Dishes that begin with: "first chop an onion" and involve some kind of meat or sauce.

Do you specialize in any ethnic cuisines? What appeals to you about them?
Mexican, East Indian, Italian. Anything big on flavor.

How do you handle leftovers? Serve them again as-is? Disguise them so your S.O. won't recognize them?
They always become somebody's lunch. Never have a problem. Many times I double or triple a recipe so I can freeze the leftovers and get a couple more dinners out of it. DH feels cheated when he opens the frig the next day and there's no curried chicken in there for lunch.

What do you see as the biggest challenge in your cooking?
For some reason what should be the easiest I've never mastered: a good roast.

Do you cook or bake, or both?
Cook. I like chopping the vegetables, smelling the steam, patting the meatloaf, grinding the spices, stirring sauces. It's relaxing for me after work, as long as there's no pressure to eat by a certain time. I have never baked anything besides cookies and brownies, really. Maybe that's why I can't roast.

Do you use recipes? Only as guides? Need absolute measurements (you probably won't like this board so well)? Just make it up as you go along?
I'm like you--dig up different 4-5 recipes for the same dish, think ok I see what's happening here, then customize it to my liking.

I've got a lot of great ideas from this board already. Nice to meet you all.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us