The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / The Gestalt of Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/your-herb-garden-sounds-wonderful-let-us-know-15100470.aspx

Subject:  Re: What's cookin'? Date:  6/4/2001  12:12 AM
Author:  ngg Number:  273 of 21259

Your herb garden sounds wonderful. Let us know what you end up doing with the pineapple sage. My kids gave me an orange mint plant for Mother's Day. I thought I would use it like regular mint--as a garnish, in iced tea, or dried for hot tea. I have mint, oregano, thyme, rosemary, chives, parsley, and sage. I should dig some tarragon from my mom's house...

Madeline,

I certainly enjoy having fresh herbs. I'm not sure what I'll do with the pineapple sage. It smells wonderful, but doesn't taste especially good, at least in raw form (which is also true of regular sage, IMHO). I now have sweet, licorice, cinnamon and purple basil planted, and I'm looking forward to it getting big enough to harvest. We eat a lot of it raw, an addition to the lettuce in green salads, as well as using it in cooking.

I'm also going to put in some fennel this year. We just love fennel, eat a lot of it when it's available. DH roasts and grills it and puts it in a roasted or grilled veggie "ratatouille" or in frittatas and other casserole-type dishes. We also like it raw; it's a tasty addition to salads. He uses the fresh fronds as garnish on grilled meats and other dishes.

As for mint, figuring out new ways to use an aggressive plant is an ongoing challenge. We use it a lot to spice up fruit salads. You might give that a try with your orange mint, and I'm sure it will be delicious in tea, too. Let me know if you have any other creative ideas for mint - I just harvested a gigantic bunch of it and have it drying at present.

Cori
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us