The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-ancestors-on-both-sides-were-feudal-peasants-15104180.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Reparations Date:  6/4/2001  3:29 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  40840 of 748779

My ancestors on both sides were feudal peasants working on the estates of princes in Northern Germany. I am actually only a couple of generations away from being serf myself. My mother and her family came here from Germany in 1928. My grandfather was a coal miner in Germany until the depression hit Germany (first)in 1928. My Father's family were poor white lumberjacks in Northern Minnesota and my father grew up in a log cabin. I guarantee you none of them owned slaves. His grandfather was an indentured servant that ran away because the farmer whipped him every day. I should demand that the German goverment pay me reparations for all the toil the my ancestors did for their Lords and Masters on those feudal estates. Why, they were bound to the land and traded like cattle! When you see a movie about knights and royalty, or read a book about it, if you look off in the distance and into the fields and see the bent over shapes of ragged worn out peasants slaving away in the fields, those are my ancestors. No royalty here. The litteral translation of my last name means, "smelly guy." We probably smelled because we slept with the pigs. - Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us