The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltwell-if-we-are-going-to-settle-civil-war-15107018.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Reparations Date:  6/4/2001  10:52 PM
Author:  uwalum Number:  40908 of 734568

<Well, if we are going to settle 'Civil WAr' debts, since it was a war of rebellion, with the southern states in civil disobedience, I'm sure that we can go after all the former residents of the south to pay damages to the folks (and descendants) of the north.>

Boy, am I in trouble. My father (and thus, myself) descend from both the north and the south. I wonder what half of me will need to pay damages. The half with money or the half without?

The reparations that are paid to Holocaust victims is based on what was lost. Not emotional loss, but the businesses, homes, etc. What will the basis be for the slaves of 150+ years ago?

Finally, the native Americans had a signed agreement that was broken. Different thing entirely. Any ideas on when the goverment plans to find the money that mysteriously disappeared that belongs to the native American's?

L
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us