The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-article-above-points-out-that-youd-have-to-15107450.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Reparations Date:  6/5/2001  12:34 AM
Author:  golfwaymore Number:  40917 of 756881

The article above points out that you'd have to take reparations money from citizens none of whom took part in slavery. It fails to point out that it would also be paying that money to blacks who are all several generations from slavery themselves.

Great post.

I compare this concept a bit to the big blow up a few years ago regarding "Ellen" coming out on her show.

I had read in the tabloids at the supermarket of her sexuality, and frankly, couldnt possibly care less. And before she *came out* on the show, I watched an interview with her to get her viewpoint. She stated, "All I want is to be seen as normal, to be accepted, for my sexuality NOT to be an issue." I've no quarell with that.

So Ellen *came out* on the show with much fanfare. And it seemed to me that in each episode thereafter the script went a long haul out of the way to make a point about sexual preference. What a great way to muck up an otherwise good show.

So still, I'm confused. It appears that "In order to make my personal choices no longer an issue, let me go out of my way to make it an issue" Clear as mud to me.

I believe it's difficult to strive for total equality and a homogenious society, when you continually dwell on the differences in that society. How is that helpful?

Golfwaymore,
Still holding out for reparations from the Egyptians who enslaved the Hebrews a few thousand years ago.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us