The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-however-the-issue-is-reparations-for-15107725.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Reparations Date:  6/5/2001  2:31 AM
Author:  Kestral Number:  40932 of 757453

I agree. However, the issue is reparations for slaves that were "free" some 150 years ago. If there were any surviving slaves I would be completely behind reparations. That is not the case now. The reparations for the Holocaust victims will be paid in full in that subsequent generations will not receive support unless they are the minor child of a survivor who died before the child's 18 birthday or the surviving spouse. I am not making light of the Holocaust or of slavery. I am talking about reparations

Thanks for clearing the issue up. I think we are both in agreement here. Since we're on the subject, I do have a question, does this mean that all the Chinese who were brought here as slaves to build the railroads should also get reparations? It was "recent" enough that there are likely survivors. And how about the Japanese who got forced into camps during WW2? For some reason people forget that Asians are also minority (for some reason we take a back seat to other minorities who get more media attention).
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us