The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/since-were-on-the-subject-i-do-have-a-question-15107817.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Reparations Date:  6/5/2001  3:18 AM
Author:  Amphian Number:  40941 of 757505

Since we're on the subject, I do have a question, does this mean that all the Chinese who were brought here as slaves to build the railroads should also get reparations? It was "recent" enough that there are likely survivors. And how about the Japanese who got forced into camps during WW2?

While they were treated very poorly, I thought the Chinese railroad workers were immigrants who agreed to indentured servitude. I can't find anything about them being bought as slaves.

The treatment of many American Japanese during WWII (including the internment camps) is disgraceful as well. I can't imagine the hue and outcry that would have been raised if we had rounded up the American Germans and Italians. The survivors should definitely should be compensated.

I find it strange that I never heard of those two topics until college. As a country, we now seem capable of talking about wrongs that are far enough in the past that we don't accuse any living person of wrongdoing, but we are still very skittish about discussing anything recent enough to have to accuse living people of acting immorally or failing to speak against immoral actions.

Amphian

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us