The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/golfwaymore-asked-quothowever-im-wondering-if-15110259.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Reparations Date:  6/5/2001  12:13 PM
Author:  mhtyler Number:  40980 of 736605

Golfwaymore asked, "However, I'm wondering if the difference in color of skin between the Japanese and the Germans falls short of the explanation why some were rounded up and some werent?

Though we were engaged in war with both in the different theatres, I'm wondering if the fact that the Japanese spilled American blood on American soil had anything to do with it? The manner of the attack, etc...?

To my knowledge, a German bomb or bullet never hit within the 50 states.
"

I don't believe it for a minute, and by the way, ask the people off the coast of Jacksonville Florida if the Germans never killed anyone here. Many of them watched as a German U Boat repeatedly shelled a US tanker right at the shore.

The fact is, that many Americans ARE of German decent...I am...and the Japanese are far fewer and look different. During the war they were represented as a subhuman race trying to overrun us.

At the beginning of the war when it actually appeared that we could lose, I have wondered often how liberal I might have been at that time. I hope I would have opposed the roundup.

mark
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us