The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/so-to-tie-the-issue-of-reparations-solely-to-the-15114279.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Reparations Date:  6/5/2001  8:34 PM
Author:  Amphian Number:  41058 of 744851

So to tie the issue of reparations solely to the institution of slavery in some way misses the point. The attitudes and beliefs that allowed slavery to flourish for so long in America remained long after actual slavery had been abolished in America and limited the opportunities for Blacks in America for many decades after the Emancipation Proclamation and Reconstruction just as surely as if neither had taken place, especially in the South.

I won't get into what I think the attitude of the mostly white (I assume) posters here would be if it had been THEIR great great grandfather forced off their land like many "negroes" were forced off their 40 acres during and after Reconstruction.....

Suffice to say I don't think their attitude toward reparations would be so confidently certain that reparations are some kind of scam....

I wouldn't assume all of the people against reparations are white, and I don't think the point is that "Reparations are a scam." as much as that they have to stop somewhere.

There is no question that some Blacks were the victims of discrimination in both the North and the South. I'm not sure that wrong can be fixed at this late date. Does my black neighbor get reparations? Does it matter that he makes a great deal of money as a network administrator? Does it matter that he grew up in a ghetto? Do his kids get money, even though their mother is Jewish and not black? Do people who are a quarter black get money? What about an eighth black or less? Do they have to prove that their ancestors were slaves at the time of the Civil War or the in the US during the following decades? Where is the line drawn?

When you are compensating a victim directly, reparations make sense. When you are giving money to a group of people who share a common trait (race, religion, etc.), because of the suffering of other individuals who possessed that trait, I'm not convinced that reparations accomplish anything.

In my case, some of my ancestors came from ethnic groups that had members forced off of their lands. I'm not sure if I am direct descendant of anyone who lost his or her home. Even if I am, how does giving me money make up for what happened to them?

Amphian

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us