The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltgolfwaymore-asked-quothowever-im-15115919.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Reparations Date:  6/6/2001  2:24 AM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  41099 of 749142

<<Golfwaymore asked, "However, I'm wondering if the difference in color of skin between the Japanese and the Germans falls short of the explanation why some were rounded up and some werent?

Though we were engaged in war with both in the different theatres, I'm wondering if the fact that the Japanese spilled American blood on American soil had anything to do with it? The manner of the attack, etc...?

>>

If you read General Stillwell's autobiography of the imediate aftermath of the Pearl Harbor attack on the west coast, you will see that there was a lot of fear and anxiety by civilians and the military. However missplaced that may seem in the light of subsequent history, there was a lot of fear generated by that attack.

Also, quite a few people of German ancestry were interned on rather thin evidence that they were a threat. This was far from the mass internment of Japanese on the west coast, of course.

But let's not forget that war is a brutal business and rights are routinely ignored. Millions of American men were drafted, for example, and not just interned into a safe camp, but put on the front lines to fight and die. These were the men who really had their liberties violated.

While the internment of Japanese was a mistake in retrospect, it was a decision of a government at war, and mistakes are made that cost people. In my view it was unjustified to pay reparations to interned Americans just as it would be unjustified to pay reparations to Americans who were drafted into the military to fight and die. It is all a consequence of war and there is no way to try to make the waging of war just and equal.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us