The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Reform

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gwerty2001-it-appears-from-your-post-that-some-15117587.aspx

Subject:  Re: National Sales Tax Question Date:  6/6/2001  10:46 AM
Author:  saml72933 Number:  68 of 80

gwerty2001-

It appears from your post that some states (and polititions) like to complicate things where no complication needs to exist.

I live in the State of Florida where we have a state sales tax and no income tax. One of the businesses I owned dealt with the manufacture and sale of wire products to the commercial fishing industry. I purchased product which I converted to an end product and was then sold to the customer or end user. At that time, I collected the tax and sent it to Tallahassee, no problem.

My company had a tax exempt number which allowed me to purchase all product tax free. The only time tax was applied was to the end user (no double or triple tax involved).

It seems to me, the states to which you refer, are implimenting a Value Added Tax. With this system, taxes are added through out the manufacturing process and at every stage of changing hands. This is a VERY complicated system and not to be confused with a straight sales tax

I think I am correct on this but if I am in error, someone here can straighten me out.

Sam
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us