The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Tax rebate Date:  6/9/2001  12:43 PM
Author:  pmarti Number:  51665 of 127549

I'm a graduate student, and expect to have my M.A. completed sometime in August. My tax bill for last year was $458.

I'll get to the point and ask the obvious questions. (1) Am I going to receive a check for 1/3 of that?

Maybe. If you were claimed as someones dependent you'll get nothing. Otherwise you'll get $153.

(2) How does this affect my tax return for next year?

It's too soon to tell. The answer depends on your income for 2001. There will be a worksheet that might result in a credit you claim on your 2001 return. In the interest of sanity and your exams, I recommend you wait until you start working on your 2001 return to worry about it.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us