The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/galeno-writes-ltltltltltfooldaveonce-15176753.aspx

Subject:  Re: Investment manager Date:  6/14/2001  10:46 PM
Author:  intercst Number:  6917 of 19483

galeno writes,

<<<<<fooldaveonce wrote:
I was told by a financial advisor with AMEX that the money managers he would recommend charge a flat rate of 3% of the funds under control if they total $100,000 or less. That fee includes expenses of buying and selling stock. After $100,000, he told me, the fee is "negotiable." I quoted the Fool to the advisor, "No one cares as much about my money as I do.">>>>>

AMEX financial advisors will charge you 3% of assets NOT COUNTING portfolio transaction costs of 1%. OK, the "advisors" will nail your portfolio for 4% of assets per year.

4% is my annual withdrawal rate from my 25%FI/75%Stock portfolio. In reality, my annual withdrawal rate is 3% of assets but my portfolio costs (commissions, spreads, and taxes) are around 1% of assets. 3+1=4.

So, if you have an AMEX financial advisor, you'd better not retire even if your net worth is $50M. It would be sad if it weren't so funny!!

I talked to an AMEX advisor when I was about age 22 just to see what kind of sales BS they used.

I asked the guy, "Is there a load on these funds?"

AMEX advisor, "What's a load?"

Like galeno said, "It would be sad if it weren't so funny" <LOL>

intercst

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us