The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Unemployment tax questions Date:  6/15/2001  9:16 PM
Author:  Patnbj Number:  51846 of 127753


I have two questions.

1) I recently received a lump sum severance package. The taxes were overwithheld on it. I did go back and read previous posts on this subject and do realize why, however my question is: is there a more rapid alternative to getting a refund besides filing as soon as I receive my 2001 W2 next year? I'm not crazy about giving the government a tax-free loan of that money.

2)Since unemployment payments are subject to federal taxes, are they considered wages for IRA contribution purposes?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us